Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Purpose to Photography: Africa

As I was looking through the powerpoint I thought that most of the photographs were very neat and good. There was like one or two that didn't quite convinced me but overall it was great.


It looks like there is an elephant just standing there in the middle of like a forest. The trees look so beautiful as does the elephant. It's my favorite one because it kinda reminds me of some sort of fairy-tale like setting or like some fantasy world. It was the only one that stood out for me and caught my attention.

Frame because the trees frame the elephant.
Simplicity because the elephant is the main focus of the picture.
Lines, the lines of the trees make the eye focus on the elephant.

  • He uses a Pentax 67II with only two fixed lenses.
  • His reason for taking the photos is that he wants to show the animals in their state of Being, before they no longer are, before they cease to exist; before "they are destroyed by the hands of man."
  • His hope is "that the photos might have some emotional impact on people - that in a minor way, they come away more aware that there is a sentience to those creatures, that those animals are not so different from us"
  • "You wouldn't take a portrait of a human being from a hundred feet away and expect to capture their spirit; you'd move in closer"

No comments:

Post a Comment